Our Meals on Wheels program offers many opportunities for those who want to get involved with a program that takes very little time and delivers huge rewards in return.
More than 300 volunteers donate their time to the Wichita Falls Meals on Wheels program, the largest daily volunteer-based endeavor in our city. Fifty volunteers are needed per day to deliver an average of 850 meals across 57 routes in Wichita Falls.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- First, decide which day (or days) of the week, Monday through Friday, you would like to deliver Meals on Wheels
- Children and students may volunteer with an adult 18-years of age or older
- Your route will have 15-20 stops, all in the same neighborhood
- You can deliver a route in an hour or less, depending of course on how much your folks want to talk
- Pick up your meals and your route sheet as early as 10:30 a.m. All routes must be completed no later than 1:15 p.m.
- When you’re finished delivering your route, call us and let us know your route has been completed and if there was anyone that wasn’t home. We’ll do a wellness call to make sure anyone who wasn’t home that was supposed to be is OK
- The most important thing to remember about being a Meals on Wheels volunteer is that you are the eyes and ears of our program. Please alert The Kitchen staff if there are any additional needs someone on your route might have. We want to guarantee the continued independence of our seniors
- Meals on Wheels volunteers deliver meals utilizing their own individual resources: vehicle, gas, etc. The Kitchen is unable to reimburse volunteers for gas, mileage, depreciation, etc
WHAT WILL I NEED?
- A valid Texas driver’s license and proof of auto insurance
- A criminal background check will be done on you to ensure the safety of our seniors
- A completed volunteer application – click here
- A warm smile and a caring attitude
For more information on volunteering, contact:
Meals on Wheels Volunteer Coordinator